According to the Kmart Smart Rewards (KSR) site these are the perks of being a member-
- Get 1% in rewards on qualifying purchases
- Take part in Kmart K'Ching Surprises, a chance to win prizes at checkout
- Receive 10% in rewards on Cosmetics, Skin Care and Sun Care products*
- Get bonus rewards on your favorite products and brands customized to
the way you shop
- Receive expedited shipping at the same cost as standard shipping when you
shop at kmart.com
- Hassle-free returns
- Enjoy in-store events, discounts and promotions exclusive to K'Ching cardholders
I have to say this program is a good start for Kmart as it can help build loyalty and return trips. Like I said at the beginning of the post, right now its only available in select stores. From the list they have, it looks as if they are just testing it in a few different states around the US to gauge interest.
I signed up online to get my KSR card, and received it within a couple weeks. I got one key tag card and one wallet card. After signing up for it I've gotten several emails from the KSR program. They have all offered free items or discounts with using my KSR card.
So, we'll see how this program works out and if it lasts to get rolled out to all Kmart stores. If the program is available for one of your local Kmart's I encourage you to sign up for it, as it seems to be worthwhile to join.